Saturday, June 13, 2009

Personality Test

So the other day I was applying for a job online. After going through a rigorous application process that took way longer than I wanted, the application took me to a personality test. Around thirty or forty-six questions like:

Do you easily get angry?
- Strongly Disagree
- Disagree
- Agree
- Strongly Agree

Or

Do you get along with other people?
- Strongly Disagree
- Disagree
- Agree
- Strongly Agree

Or

Have you ever considered taking a shotgun and going postal at work?
- Strongly Disagree
- Disagree
- Agree
- Strongly Agree

Seriously, are we to undermine ourselves when applying for a job? What do they expect us to check? Do I easily get angry? Strongly Agree. Do I get along with other people? Strongly Disagree. Have I ever considered going postal? Oh yes, strongly Agree. Not only do I want to go postal at work, but you should also note that I support terrorist groups, I like Wayne’s World, and taking long walks on the beach while the sun is setting. What do they expect when people are evaluating themselves? As cynical as this may sound, the majority of the people in this world are hard to trust. The natural man is not only an enemy to God, but also to man. Even huge professional corporate giants do not seem as trustworthy as they use to, hence the current economic crisis. People don’t know where to put their money where it is safe. Banks are not loaning out money as easily or quickly because they don’t trust the general public anymore. We all are holding on to the few things we have perhaps waiting, sometimes in vain, for something or someone trustworthy enough to share what we have.

If I were to make a personality test to put at the end of a job application, I think it would save time for both the company and the person filling out the tediously long and boring application by simply asking…

No comments: